Mod Announcement Still mad at WotC? Help raise money for Childrens Miracle Network with Extra Life's team Redditors for OpenDnD during our first ever charity drive!
What's up adventurers! We on the mod team have spent the past ten plus days just as pissed off as all of you at the new OGL leaks and Wizard's half-cocked response. And I wanted to channel that energy and outrage somewhere productive, so I established team "Redditors for OpenDnD" on Extra Life's fundraising website, and I wanted to see if you'd be interested in joining me in raising money for a good cause.
What is Extra Life and why should I support them? So you have a little spare change from canceling your DnDBeyond subscription, why use it here? Donations raised through Extra Life go towards the Children's Miracle Network, an incredible organization geared towards helping Children's Hospitals around the US. Funding critical treatments or pediatric medical equipment, making sure that hospitals can provide charitable care to those in need, and specialized services not covered by insurance. Extra Life is supported and has been utilized by WotC, Paizo, Reddit, Critical Role, and pretty much every video game streamer who's done a charity drive, which is a big part of why I chose it, it's something that can truly unite all of us in a common goal.
While we're fighting this fight, kids out there are fighting even harder. As people are cancelling D&DBeyond, we would suggest putting that money somewhere else. Your contribution can make a huge difference, not only by not giving them to Hasbro, but by truly making a difference in the lives of others.
How it works: When you sign up, you can either donate to an individual (I set up a general donation bucket if you don't want to donate to anyone specific), or sign up and fundraise for yourself under team Redditors for OpenDnD. If you're concerned about privacy, once signed up you can change your display name to a username, but if you'd rather fundraise under a fake name that's fine too. If you have questions or need guidance through the donation process please reach out.
So its a good cause, but what's in it for you? You want a tote bag? Buy it yourself I don't have NPR money. But what I do have is a collection of benefits I can flex on the sub to sweeten the pot a little, modmail us either a receipt of donation or some proof of fundraising to receive the below benefits. We'll try to implement these rewards as soon as possible, but please be patient as most of us are at work rn.
- A donation of any amount gets you a custom flair of your choosing. Standard lengths apply, any emojis allowed, keep it civil-ish. You also enter into a drawing for one of ten awards equivalent to a month of reddit premium.
- A donation of ≥ $5 (the cost of 7 spells from Fizbans Treasury of Dragons on DDB) you receive a custom flair with our newly drawn, wildly inadvisable Golden Snitty.
- A donation of ≥$9.99 (the cost of a the revdesigned races in Monsters of the Multiverse ) gets you the same custom snitty flair, only uncensored.
- A donation of ≥$25.99 (the cost of a year's subscription to DDB's hero tier) gets an IOU for a meme of your choice stickied to the top of the sub for 8 hours (more if I forget to unsticky it).
- The top three donors/fundraisers with a minimum of ≥$64.99 (a year's subscription at DDB's master tier) will be allowed to retire one debate topic or meme format for 3 months (exceptions apply, inquire for details).
- As a small bonus, the highest donor/fundraiser gets to choose my profile picture and user flair for the next 3 months, because it isn't a good charity drive without someone getting humiliated, and I'm more than willing to sit on the seat of this virtual dunk tank.
Don't have the cash to help out right now? That's fine I understand. Fundraising and asking others to contribute on your behalf is perfectly acceptable; talk to friends or family, offer to GM a pathfinder oneshot or host a session rollplaying as a gang of raccoons each trying to drive the same car! Heck, tell your DM if he donates $5 you'll actually read your spells in advance for once! If you'd like to help non-monetarily, spread the word! Other subs are welcome to help out, and and reaching out to other DnD streamers, artists, or content creators would greatly boost our message that we aren't just angry DnD nerds, we're angry DnD nerds willing to do something good for the community.
So thank you for reading, and I hope you'll consider supporting this cause with us.